Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Whole-Wheat Mac-n-Cheese for the Family

I got a new cookbook today called Yum-o! The Family Cookbook by Rachel Ray. This recipe is from that cookbook. We had it for dinner and it is pretty yum-o!



Whole-Wheat Mac-n-Cheese for the Family

2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup chicken stock
1 1/2 cups milk
2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard (I used honey mustard)
1 pound whole-wheat pasta, cooked al-dente and drained
1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets and steamed until almost tender, 6 to 7 minutes

In a sauce pot, melt the butter over medium-low heat, add the flour, and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the chicken stock and milk. Thicken the sauce for 5 minutes, then stir in the cheese, season with salt and pepper, and stir in the secret ingredient (the mustard).

Toss the sauce with the whole-wheat pasta and cauliflower. Yum-o!

Serves 4 to 6 (at least - it made lots)

4 comments:

alisha peterson said...

this sounds good I think I might even try it

kimmers said...

Gotta love revamping the mac and cheese! Thanks!

Kristi said...

The last time I made mac & cheese it turned out all grainy. Any idea how to prevent that from happening?

Angie said...

Kristeee-was it homemade mac & cheese? You might have boiled the sauce, which sometimes makes the cheese get kind of lumpy. That happens to me when I make fondue. My only suggestion is to cook it at a lower temp so the cheese can melt, but don't let it boil.