Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Garlic Herb Pizza Dough

I love herb pizza dough. Every time I go to Trader Joe's I get at least one. TJ's pizza dough is so yummy! But since I don't get to TJ's very often I decided it was time to find a recipe to make my own herb dough. After looking at lots of websites that had the same recipe I found this one. It was so easy to make and turned out delicious. I used it for both pepperoni pizza and chicken Alfredo pizza for dinner tonight. We had a friend over for dinner and he seemed to like it, too. Wes couldn't get enough (which doesn't happen very often).

I changed this recipe a little bit because some of it was kind of confusing or didn't make sense, or just sounded weird.

Garlic Herb Pizza Dough
from Homemade Pizza Made Easy

1 Tablespoon Olive Oil (I used canola)
2/3 cup lukewarm water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon active dry yeast (I used SAF instant yeast)
1 Tablespoon fresh garlic cloves, chopped
1 Tablespoon Oregano, fresh, chopped (if using dried herbs, cut amounts in half)
1 Tablespoon Parsley, fresh, chopped
1 Tablespoon Basil, fresh, chopped
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
2 cups bread flour (I used wheat flour)

Dissolve yeast in water. Place flour in bowl of electric mixer. Add dissolved yeast, oil, water, salt, garlic, oregano, parsley, basil, onion powder and black pepper. Using dough hook, mix well at medium-low speed (or follow mixer instructions) until all ingredients are incorporated. Knead for a few more minutes. Dust or oil dough ball and place in a large bowl, cover, and let rise in a warm, draft free area for 1 to 3 hours.

This is where the recipe stops. I spread my dough onto large cookie sheets and covered with my desired toppings. The recipe didn't give cooking directions, so I cooked each of my pizzas at 400 degrees F for about 10-12 minutes. The pizzas turned out great, so I think this temperature was a good choice.

Note: If you are using instant yeast you do not need to dissolve the yeast in the water first. You can add it straight to the flour, mix, and then add the other ingredients as directed.

I doubled the batch and was able to make two nice-sized pizzas that almost filled my large cookie sheets.

1 comment:

kimmers said...

Yummm! Hey Ang, can you post your recipe for your Chicken Alfredo Pizza? Thanks heaps!