Sunday, June 21, 2009

100% Whole Wheat Bread

You are probably wondering why I am posting another bread recipe. This one is better than the last one I posted, so I thought I would share. It comes from the blog of a long-time friend, Mrs. Mordecai. This recipe is really easy and super yummy. It is definitely worth a try!

100% Whole Wheat Bread
from Be It Ever So Humble

1 2/3 cups very warm water
2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon instant yeast
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup instant potato flakes
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 1/3 - 2 cups additional whole wheat flour

Combine first 3 ingredients, then slowly add oil, honey, salt, potato flakes, and lemon juice, mixing as you go. Add remaining flour a little at a time until the texture is right. Knead about 10 minutes (I use my KitchenAid). Shape into two loaves and place in two greased 8" loaf pan. Let rise until double, about 30 minutes. (I put them on top of the stove and preheated the oven at the same time.) In another blog post Mrs. M suggested letting the dough rise for about 30 minutes prior to the loaf shaping and rising step. I tried this (I put the dough in a greased bowl and covered it with a towel) and think it made the bread even softer, although I haven't tried it without the extra rising time so I can't say for sure. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes. Cool on rack. For a softer crust, cover the loaves with a towel as they cool.

No comments: