Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Birdseed Bread

My family found a birdseed bread that we really love. The only problem is that it is over $5 a loaf at the local farmer's market. I'm all about supporting local small businesses, but I knew that I could probably make bread similar to this for a fraction of the price. Here is what I came up with. It isn't exactly the same as the farmer's market bread, but we are happy with it. We'll just say that we have never eaten homemade bread as fast as the first batch of this was eaten.

Birdseed Bread
Adapted from here and here

2 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup oil
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
2 Tablespoons gluten flour (or vital wheat gluten)
2 Tablespoons instant yeast
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup unsalted raw sunflower seeds
2 Tablespoons poppy seeds
2 Tablespoons cornmeal
2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
2 Tablespoons millet
2 Tablespoons amaranth
2 Tablespoons flax seeds
5 1/2 - 6 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour

  1. Combine water, honey, oil, lemon juice, salt, and ginger in bowl of stand mixer. Add ground flaxseed, gluten, yeast, and rolled oats.
  2. Add 3 cups flour and mix vigorously with paddle attachment until you can see a little bit of stretch. Add sunflower seeds, poppy seeds, cornmeal, sesame seeds, millet, amaranth, and flax seeds and mix until well incorporated. 
  3. Switch to dough hook and add 2 more cups of flour and mix again. Add more flour as needed until dough comes together and clears sides of bowl. Knead about 10 minutes.
  4. Transfer to an oiled bowl and cover; let rise until double in size.
  5. Punch down and shape into three loaves. Cover with a towel and let rise until double.
  6. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake 30-35 minutes; gently remove from pans and let cool on racks.
*****My notes: I haven't needed to use more than 5 cups of flour in this recipe. I'm not sure why, but I think it might be all of the added seeds and grains. If you don't have all of the different seeds and grains, use what you do have. This just happens to be what I have on hand and what I like in my bread. The original recipe for the bread base says to cook the bread in three 8" pans, but only have 9" pans. They worked fine, but the bread was just a little short (we could fit two pieces side by side in one toaster slot).

No comments: